Motivation: it’s something we all desire, though few of us can get motivated and, most importantly, stay motivated, especially when life throws us some setbacks. This is why we have put together the best techniques for getting and staying motivated, so you can reach your dreams and goals faster than ever.
"If what you did YESTERDAY seems big, you haven't done anything TODAY." - Lou Holtz, New York Jets
How to Get Motivated
How do you get motivated, especially after encountering a snag in your plan? It’s easier to attain than you may think. These motivation tips, though simplistic, work like a charm as long as they are carried through:
- Recall the initial thoughts and purpose for what you are trying to achieve.
- Create a plan that helps you get to where you want to go. The more interested you are in your purpose, the more likely you will succeed.
- Keep a physical reminder of your goal nearby. Whether in your workspace or at home, make sure you have a constant visual reminder of the happiness you will, in fact, attain.
"We would ACCOMPLISH many more things if we did not think of them as IMPOSSIBLE." - Vince Lombardi
How to Motivate Others
How do you inspire and motivate others to achieve greater goals? There are a few simple techniques that successful team leaders and managers can use that just as easily apply to your friends, and family:
- Give positive reinforcement. Encourage others by pointing out the positive. For example, comment on a past success or appreciate the good work they’ve been able to accomplish so far.
- Ask how you can help. Whether you are a boss or a friend, you can boost the motivation of others by taking an interest in their needs and offering your help.
- Be constructive, not critical. Even if you think others are having a tough time coping, instead of chastising them, show them what to do differently next time and how they can improve.
"If you're not gonna go ALL the way, why go at ALL?" - Joe Namath, New York Jet
Motivate Yourself Towards Happiness
Surely, being motivated and being happy are inextricably intertwined, but how can you foster happiness within yourself before attaining your goal?
- Remember that everything you do has meaning. It may seem difficult to see the big picture sometimes, but every experience and every task is part of the puzzle.
- Do not dwell on mistakes or criticisms. Dwelling on the past won’t fix anything. You can’t change the past, you can only live and act in the present. Comfort yourself with the fact that you’re capable of doing things differently next time.
- Breathe deeply and let go of negative thoughts. Whenever a worry or concern comes your way, take 10 deep breaths. Taking that moment to push the negativity out will give you a fresh perspective whether this worry is really that important.
"A CHAMPION is simply someone who did NOT give up when they wanted to." - Tom Landry, Dallas Cowboys
Motivate Yourself Towards Health
It is true that the healthier we feel, the more motivated and productive we will be, but sometimes it’s just so hard to get started. How do you stick to a healthy diet and exercise lifestyle? The remedy is never drastic; it just requires a few modifications to boost health and energy:
- Start small and devise a realistic diet and fitness plan that works for you.
- Make sure to get enough sleep per night: 7-8 hours should be a standard.
- Modify your diet to include more veggies and fruits, and less sugars and white starches.
- Exercise at least 3 times a week at 25 minutes or more. A brisk walk will do! Also, remember that you don’t have to do all the exercise at once. 10 minutes here and there is still good exercise!
- De-stress with your favorite activity or hobby when you find yourself overcome with worry. It may be reading a good book, playing some music, or going out for a night with friends.
"Today I will do what other WON'T, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others CAN'T." - Jerry Rice, San Francisco 49ers
Motivate Yourself Towards Productivity
How can you motivate yourself towards greater productivity? Achieving greater productivity is totally possible. Here are a few tips to boost your motivation and productivity:
- Remind yourself of the feeling you get after you complete a task. It feels good, doesn’t it? Hold onto that positive feeling!
- Remember the rewards at the finish line. It may be more time, money, recognition, or simply the satisfaction of knowing that you’re capable of completing any challenge.
- Focus on your loved ones. The purpose of becoming more productive is to provide for your family and spend more quality time with them. Let this serve as a reminder as you work. After all, you’re not alone!
"Work isn't WORK unless you would rather be DOING something else." - Don Shula, Miami Dolphins
As you know, motivation is necessary to getting things done in your life. By implementing these quick motivation techniques into your life, your success is within reach!